Students from the North Slope, Northwest Arctic, and Interior will participate in the Second-Year Academy in June, 2022. Field projects will take place at sites in Utah and Arizona, including Zion and Grand Canyon National Parks, Barringer Meteor Crater, Antelope Canyon, and Montezuma Castle. Students will also have an opportunity to float a calm section of the Colorado River upstream of the Grand Canyon. Activities will emphasize identification of sedimentary rocks and fossils in order to reconstruct ancient environments.
- Second-Year Academy: June 1 – 14, 2022
Students from Nuiqsut and Galena who are currently in 10th or 11th grade may apply to join the group in June, 2022.
We are so excited to see your application! Applications for students from Nuiqsut and Galena are still open.
Applications are due on the following dates.
- Nuiqsut – December 15, 2021
- Galena – TBA
- Open to rural 10th and 11th grade students from Nuiqsut and Galena.
- Write two short essays.
- Submit school transcripts.
- Provide a teacher recommendation.
- Describe an experience you had in the classroom, or outdoors, that you were excited about. What did you do, and what was interesting or fun about it?
- Why are you interested in GeoFORCE? Describe two things that you hope to gain by participating in this 3-year program. These could include things you would like to learn, do, see, or become.